Early signs of dehydration are a dry mouth, sunken eyes, and a loss of elasticity in their skin. Severe dehydration can lead to organ failure and even death. Know what to do and what to look out for.
Here’s how to test if your dog is dehydrated:
- Softly pinch a piece of their skin on their back between two fingers for a few seconds and see how quickly it returns to its normal state. If it does not fall back to normal, your dog is dehydrated.
- Press your finger on their gums for a few seconds and remove it again. If it takes a long time for the white to return to the natural pink colour, then your dog is dehydrated.
How can we ensure our furry friends stay hydrated?
- Provide them with lots of fresh water by leaving many water bowls and or places to access safe and clean water.
- Water bowls should be in a shaded area so that it doesn’t evaporate too quickly or get hot from the sun.
- You can cool your pets’ water by putting ice blocks in their bowls.